Wednesday, October 17, 2007

English pie

I watched Nigella Express the other day, a cooking programme on BBC2, where she prepared chicken pie. I was surprised that she is calling something, that is just covered with puff pastry and thrown in the oven for 20 minutes, a pie. Here's a common definition of pie: A baked food composed of a pastry shell filled with fruit, meat, cheese, or other ingredients, and usually, but not always, covered with a pastry crust. I agree with that, you can't call something covered with some puff pastry a pie!
But I thought it might be interesting to try, so I made my own version - off course not filled with chicken. I took some precooked potatoes and cauliflower, and mix them with a sort of bechamel sauce, cheese and spring onions. I covered each model with one sheet of puff pastry and let them bake for 20 minutes at 180ÂșC. This is what came out.



I will call this an English pie. It looks nice, but the inside part was very very hot because of all the liquid which came out of cauliflower and not very thick bechamel. It was practically boiling! And we were very hungry and wanted to eat it immediately, so that was a real minus for this recipe.

No comments: